Threat actors will capitalize on anything, even sites that hint at promoting digital safety, to spread mayhem. We looked at thousands of Internet safety-themed domains and subdomains in commemoration of Safer Internet Day1 to identify how many of them may not be worth trusting.
Our analysis allowed us to build detailed threat research materials that revealed:
- Almost 6,000 domains that supposedly espouse safe Internet practices, yet 2% of which are malicious.
- More than 1,200 subdomains with strings alluding to digital safety, one of which was found malicious.
- The 120+ malicious web properties we found resolved to nine unique IP addresses, one of which was dubbed “dangerous” by various malware engines.
- Several misconfigurations could have resulted in the compromise of legitimate sites, turning them malicious.
Download the threat research materials now to access the complete list of identified artifacts used to conduct additional enrichment and threat analysis as well as trend identification.
-  https://www.saferinternetday.org/